Sunday 6 April 2008

Introduction.

This is a project born of many things: A need to discover music both new and old, a need to form opinions of music, a desire to share music I already love with others, wanting to overcome feelings of musical ignorance, hopes of becoming a music journalist (failing that at least I can pretend), boredom, and buying cheap albums from HMV.

I had originally conceived this as 'An Album A Day', but I quickly realised that trying to listen to and write about seven albums every week was over-ambitious if I wanted to maintain some sort of semblance of quality, and that's before I take into account my inherent laziness. And so I changed it to 'An Album Every (Other) Day': By halving my workload, not only will I have more time to write about each album, I'll hopefully be able to use my off-days to build up a buffer of albums that I can use when things get too busy.

I hesitate to call the writings that will appear here 'reviews', although I can't think of a better word right now. I don't plan on including some arbitrary scoring system to rank the albums with (unless people really want that?), and my experiences with music will always be influenced by my own personal life, meaning I won't always be truly objective about things. I hope to keep things quite varied, writing about an album I've just listened to for the first time one day, then re-visiting an album I love the next, and then maybe looking back at an album that I own but haven't listened to that much.

Updates will run on a two week schedule: 

Week 1: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday
Week 2: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

If that gets too confusing, just remember that I'll update every other day (as the title suggests). So as long as it's been more than a couple of days since your last visit, there'll be something new to read (most of the time anyway).

That's all for now, the first update will be tomorrow. Feel free to leave comments or suggestions of albums I should write about below: This is about musical discovery, after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cool idea. I support it completely! I've tried to do something like that before, but it didn't work out too much.

I suggest you listen to and review a Modest Mouse album, because that's what I'm listening to at the moment. >_>

And because we talked about them before once and I'm interested in your thoughts on them.

Anonymous said...

At last Ive found your Blog after Tiz talked about it. It certainly will be a journey of discovery for me but u probably will review some oldie albums which I have or have loved!
Good luck with your endeavours
Love Mum x